This recipe was born of a brownie craving. After perusing various paleo brownie recipes online, I decided to make up my own using a mix of what I had read. My trick was to swap out a few ingredients and add in protein powder to make it a healthier version, while still satisfying that chocolate craving. What I ended up with was a most moist, fluffy and amazing paleo chocolate cake — not brownies! WOW! This one is going to be made for every birthday cake in our house. This recipe will make one 8×8″ cake. If you want to do a layer cake, I suggest doubling the recipe and using two round pans.
- 2 plantains
- 3 pastured eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted — we use this kind
- 1/4 cup raw honey — here is how to melt it
- 1/3 cup chocolate protein powder (we use this kind, but you can also substitute hemp protein)*
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips, plus more for sprinkling and snacking (we use this kind because they are gluten, soy and dairy free)
- Optional: sometimes I like to give my chocolate treats a mocha flavor. When I do this, I just add one packet of my favorite coffee to the mix. This stuff is a super healthy mushroom coffee, so it makes the chocolate treat a healthy mocha treat! You can find it HERE
*Note: if you want to omit the protein powder, then just use cocoa powder instead
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a food processor, combine everything but the chocolate chips and process until smooth
- Grease a glass baking dish, or brownie pan
- Add chocolate chips to the batter and stir until combined
- Pour into baking dish and sprinkle with more chocolate chips
- Eat the leftover chocolate chips, it’s okay I gave you permission!
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the center is not jiggly when you shake the pan
P.S. If you want to find the best gluten free items online (best prices around, believe me I have checked!) with free shipping, I highly recommend Thrive Market, they even have a special Gluten Free section. CLICK HERE to check them out!